Author Topic: TTC buddy  (Read 88542 times)

Offline Nikkilou

• View Profile
Re: TTC buddy
« Reply #4320 on: May 13, 2019, 06:37:15 AM »
Thank you Angela I am in a state of shock but so happy at the same time! I just have to hope and pray they are strong like their momma!

Offline Ria1712

• View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: May 13, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »
Omg Nikkilou that is absolutely amazing, hopefully on next scan you will see all 3 heartbeat flickering away on the screen. So happy that things look well so far.

Yeah I'm hoping there are no problems with me breastfeeding Angela but still just keeping a open mind. My step mum got advised to stop after 8 weeks as my little brother would only latch on to one side and she wasn't preducing enough. She carried on doing a mixture of both to make sure he had what he needed and obviously expressed from the other side but also used formula to top him off. Think he was about 11 weeks when he started refusing breast milk so she stopped. We're booking a home appointment at my next midwife appointment to have my midwife come show me techniques for expressing and go through it all with me and also how to start collecting collestrum from 34 weeks if I can as we want to have some frozen to give him through his tube after his surgery.

I completely forgot you had a anterior placenta so yeah movements are a lot more complicated with that. Have you managed to find anything to help with ligament pain, if your having any? Just I'm really struggling at the minute, I'm having next week of work to relax and long baths, paracetamol and massage are not working.

Online AngelaFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: May 13, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
Expressing colostrum can start a preterm labour and really is not advised to do so before 37weeks so I really wouldn’t advise that but obviously it is your choice. Also expressing should only happen if you got no choice as it can mess around with milk supply. If planning breastfeed then you shouldn’t express for 6 weeks however if breastfeeding direct is not an option due to various reasons then of course you go for it.

I have been very lucky pain wise. It is very rare that I would have any back or hip pain and it goes away quite quickly. I sometimes have sciatica pain but again it hasn’t been too bad. If i didn’t do yoga I am sure I would of struggled. We had 2 weeks off and I could really feel the difference.

Period Diary Forum

« Reply #4322 on: May 13, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »

Offline Missdyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: May 14, 2019, 01:36:33 AM »
About breastfeeding it’s all about you ladies feeling comfortable while doing it. I tried many positions and the one that worked for me was laying down with him next to me. I tried all the other ones and it would just give me a lot of stress and I would even sweat out of it.  Also my sil struggled the first month because she couldn’t find the right position. Also I would drink about 6-7 liters of water to help with milk production.

I suggest you ladies get help with a lactation consultant I read many books about it and it really helped.

Also I wouldn’t advise to collect colostrum before delivery. The body knows when todo the right right thing at the right time. I read several researches about milk production and for that I never storaged milk but would express and give it to him. 

Online AngelaFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: May 14, 2019, 04:09:55 AM »
You can express and store once the milk supply has been established but of course there are exceptions. For example my SIL after her baby was born at 29weeks he was too small to suck from the breast and she had no choice but to express and feed through tube in his nose. He is now big enough to take breast but it’s a hard job for such a small baby so still needs to be tube fed. And in her case she needs to express every few hours and then her milk is stored. Since her production was so good she wanted to donate some to those who couldn’t breastfeed as not for all milk comes in when baby is premature but it wasn’t an option in her hospital. But my nephew is making his way through all those supplies very quickly!

Offline Ria1712

• View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: May 14, 2019, 05:56:35 AM »
Yeah I have the pain bad under bump I've tried exercises to help and doing the ones for my hip off physio as I have hypermobility but they don't really help.

I need to express as they will have a feeding tube in for a minimum of 2 days after each surgery or until he is okay to feed as he will be paralysed after each surgery and left open chested. They are showing me how to start collecting incase I start leaking but she said don't actively try to get it until after 34 weeks. At the point I can start but just a little each day as we will be delivering early anyway and they are happy for him to come after this point as his weight will be high enough. Obviously it depends if my body is ready etc. We're just hoping to have as much as we can to help get what he needs after surgery. I think obviously it depends on situation as not sure if you seen on the news Angela about Bethan who had the fetal surgery a few months ago, due to baby having spinal bifida, the surgery was a success. She is in my ivf support group and was allowed to start collecting collestrum from 30 weeks as after feotal surgery prem labour is common but she ended up having a planned section at 37 weeks.

Online AngelaFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: May 14, 2019, 06:22:22 AM »
Well yes like I said when there is medical intervention it can be completely different and if that’s what doctors tell you to do then of course you should do that. And I hope it works out and you get everything plenty! However in pregnancies where there are no known issues and you are planning to breastfeed these are the things that definitely shouldn’t be done.

Offline Missdyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
Ría, how are you coping with it? It must be really hard. I read and you mentioned life expectancy with surgery at around 35’s. Does that mean after that age because of the heart condition they will pass away naturally? It must be really hard. Thinking as well that he will have surgery right after delivery. I would be devastated. Financially?

Angela do you know the sex yet?

And congrats to the new pregnancy. When I was reading the post of her hcg  level multiplying so fast it came to mind that sounds like twins. Hcg with twins can go over a Thousand in days, I have seen it in my friends ivf clinic a lot! And now you have 3. Let’s hope they stick. Did you get some sort of treatment? Hormones? Or are they naturally conceived?

Online AngelaFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: May 14, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
Missdyan, we decided not to find out the sex. We got names for both boy and girl sorted and we shall see what we have when time comes!

Offline Ria1712

• View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: May 14, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »
Hi Angela yeah I completely agree, when no medical conditions I wouldn't of tried collecting before full term. Like you said it does come with possible early labour but it can help him better to recover from surgery and help with infection etc even if my milk hadn't come in.

I think I am coping okay at the minute missdyan. I do have good and bad days but today is a good one. We find out a more definite plan on Thursday, obviously he will always need surgery at a week old, 6 months and 3-5 years old for his Hlhs. The additional surgery will either be done minutes after birth or during his first surgery depending on if his arterial spectum has closed further or not. It is scary to think about especially if he needs his first surgery straight after birth as its around 7 hours long and it will mean I need a c section done at the hospital he needs to be at which doesn't actually have a maternity unit so a team from our local hospital will be coming with us to keep an eye on me but if any complications happen I will be transferred to our local, so possibly won't get to see him after his surgery and obviously would be updated by phone or doctors. It terrifies me as we agreed if I have to be transferred my mum will come with me and my partner will stay with baby so if anything was to happen were both without each other. Age expectancy in America is 35+ and here in the UK is 23+ this is just because that's how long the procedures have been going and the oldest living survivors. We have been told that no matter what even with surgery it isn't curable and at some point in his life his heart will fail and he will require a transplant we just wouldn't know when. There is current research going on in America with stem cells so we are going to question this with our consultant to see if there is a way we can take part in the tri that's happening either here or to go to America and take part. Financially I thi k we are going to have some struggles but we are trying to sort that the best we can like we are about to make our last payments to pay off our credit cards so we have them as back up and we're putting extra on bills to help too. I have a good maternity package at work which will help us a lot and baby will be entitled to disability allowance which will help as I will be down as his carer. The hospital also have funding to help with paying for things whilst we're there. The only thing that annoys me is if anytime we stay in hospital is 12 weeks or longer we don't get child benefit. Yes it isn't a massive amount and if he was home and didn't have this condition we always said this would be used to go into a savers for the baby but it annoys me that it's more expensive to care for a child in hospital yet we're not classed of being the ones caring for him so our entitlement would stop

Online AngelaFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: May 14, 2019, 04:14:10 PM »
Oh did not know that they wouldn’t pay for child benefit! That’s a bit of low blow in this situation! We are also planning to put our baby’s child benefit into savings account. Surely you will qualify for it once Leo is home?

Offline Nikkilou

• View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: May 14, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
Ria I’m glad you have most things handled. Would you consider a go fund me? Perhaps a local media story to get some attention to the issue. I’ve not had any experience with them but I see them occasionally in news stories I read online.
Missdyan I conceived them naturally. I have never been on any medication. I think that’s why it’s such a shock. There is no family history of multiples either. I just hope they stick, as much as it scares me.

Offline Ria1712

• View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: May 15, 2019, 10:58:54 AM »
Yeah we would get it when he's first born till he's 12 weeks but if we're not home by then we would loose it till he comes home. But then obviously he has another 2 surgerys after his first so it could happen each time. I think it's a stupid rule, it used to be the same for disability too but that's been changed.
Nikkilou, my mum has said that and he friend has offered to do fundraising for us but at the minute we're going to just wait. The first 14 weeks I  get full pay and it will give us time to see what we're entitled too and if we will be okay. We have a long round to go down and if we do end up going to America for treatment it will definitely be something we do to get us there and my auntie along with her church have offered to pay any medical fees but he's actual cost of consultation and surgery will be free due to it being a medical trial. I think that's why I am now set of makigg sure he's nursery is finished and we have everything so we don't have to worry about all that.

I think the hardest bit is just as well both work but we're not on a lot of hours but more then enough to make us not entitled to some extra help. There is points during my maternity we will get benefits to help but it won't be a lot and we don't qualify for anything like the sure start grants and vouchers where as the girl I've been speaking to gave up work after her first and her partner has a good job but she still qualifies for the extra help. There are social services to help us talk through all the financial stuff at the hospital when he's here though we just need to prepare as much as possible before he's here.

Offline Ria1712

• View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: May 17, 2019, 04:02:14 AM »
Okay ladies so thought is do a quick update. Yesterday we toured the hospital Leo will be at and our accommodation and honestly it all amazed me. The accommodation was stunning and like a hotel, the wards were all small with plenty of staff meaning you have some privacy but we have been told due to the condition they are going to try get us into a room on our own.

We also had our scan that showed his artial spectum has thickened meaning the opening is very narrow and nearly closed so a c section is the way forward with surgery mi utes later. But despite everything he's growth is still doing really well and he's estimated weight is 2 pound 11 which is amazing.

Online AngelaFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: May 17, 2019, 04:34:15 AM »
When do they want to have csection? Glad to hear he is doing well!

I am on my way to hospital now for reduced baby movement. The midwife i spoke to wasn’t nice at all. She just wanted to dismiss it all and only agreed for me to come over after i said that i had 2 previous miscarriages! How some people don’t understand it’s better be safe than sorry?!