Author Topic: PCOS & TTC  (Read 4172 times)

Offline ally87

• View Profile
Re: PCOS & TTC
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »
Thanks girls for the advice. I know stress makes you produce more cortisol which mucks up ovulation. I'm going to try to get on top of it in a few days. I guess I was just allowing myself to wallow while AF is here.
I'm interested in the diet advice though - is the purpose of the diet to lose weight or is there specific evidence the change in diet is helpful for fertility. I'm on the lower end of the normal bmi range and my doctors don't want me to lose any weight but if cutting out certain foods would help I'm all for it!

Offline JMC100

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »
Ha ha Courtney it sounds worse than it was! There is a medical logic but I'd only mess it up if I tried to explain! I think knowledge about PCOS has gotten a lot better since you were diagnosed so hopefully you will prove your doctor wrong

Offline JMC100

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
Ally the diet is not specifically designed to lose weight it's often a bi product if you have it to lose. In short PCOS can make you insulin resistant. The more simple carbs and sugar you eat the more insulin you produce and your body can't deal with it. The diet aims to cut out excess sugar and move to more complex carbs like whole grain, beans lentils etc. There is a lot of really good books out there now that can be really helpful. You can eat as much of the other things as you like. Metformin blocks the production of insulin which is why it is often prescribed. It's also a drug used in treating people with pre diabetes. I know everyone is different but this seems to be a common theme from what I have read and heard. It was a big requirement from my doc. Not just to lose the extra stone I was carrying but in general. But as Courtney said it is a lifestyle change and is difficult to stick to at times!  I try to do an 80/20 approach. Since I started on the diet and metformin my cycles are down to around 32 days, I have less active follicles  which indicates the PCOS in getting under control and they seem to be getting to the required size for ovulation. It's def worth the research if you are into a more holistic approach in conjunction with the medical route. I also didn't realise how many of the other symptoms I displayed like sluggish after heavy meals, frequent headaches, tired a lot of the time but it made so much sense when I did some research. Sorry for the long rant. Normally people don't want to hear my ramblings about this!

Period Diary Forum

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

Offline ally87

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »
That's really interesting jmc. I already eat a lot of vegetables, legumes and whole grains and not a lot of sweets but I havent specifically tried to cut anything out. I wouldn't want to lose any more weight cause i think if you become underweight your cycles can stop altogether. But definitely interested in anything that can help. How do you know if you are insulin resistant? Do you have to have diabetes blood tests done? I'm seeing my gp soon to get my referral for the FS - should I ask him to test me for this in anticipation? I don't want to waste any time once I see the FS in getting started on clomid (if that's what he recommends)

Offline JMC100

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 02:37:18 AM »
I was never tested specifically for insulin resistance. I'm not sure if it would be severe enough to show on blood test but I don't really know. My treatment is based on the fact that by its nature PCOS is an insulin resistance disorder. It's definitely worth asking your GP. Every ones journey will be different I suppose It's so hard to know what the best thing to do is I find that really difficult. I like to get a solution and just do it but there doesn't seem to be one thing here.

Offline Courtney_jo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
Ally i guess you can alway ask, they tested mine a few months ago and it was higher than what it should, in fact they said I'm a pre diabetic, I'm 9.2stone or 128pounds, I'm not over weight but after looking I think this is all because of the pcos, it would be worth asking anyways as then you can know for sure, but being a good weight and eating healthy I wouldn't think you would be

Offline Courtney_jo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
 Also JMC your not ranting at all Hun, nice to talk to people about the condition as I think friends/OH can get a bit bored sometimes

Offline Courtney_jo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
 Also JMC your not ranting at all Hun, nice to talk to people about the condition as I think friends/OH can get a bit bored sometimes. but I felt the same with the sluggish feeling after eating, tiredness, headaches once you start losing weight keeping insulin down you do feel more energised, But I had my period last week, and I've been suffering with cramps today (weird) I'm meant to be ovulating in 2 days I don't know if it could be that! But feel like now I'm on metformin, in reading into everything to much!  (Sorry keeps cutting off my message!! )

Offline JMC100

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
Oh Courtney I know how that feels. You read into everything when you are giving a new potential solution. I did two months of just metformin before surgery. My cycles came down to 25/26 days and I def ovulated as I had all the signs. My doc told me not to track anything just focus on getting my PCOS under control it was actually a relief. After surgery I'm on the  letrozole and my cycle seems about 32 days and I did the tracker but I think medication pushed it off as my first cycle I didn't have a peak and my monitor said I ovulated v early in my second cycle but my scan indicated otherwise. So I've decided I'm not going to track anymore I've also decided I'm going to ignore twinges/cramps and just wait and see if my period comes and if not here by day 35/36 I'll test. I need to relax a bit as I'm driving myself insane!! I feel a lot better about it all in the past few weeks. App keeps cutting my messages too. It's very annoying!

Offline Courtney_jo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »
Aww Hun at least I'm not the only one ha, it's so hard to over think, I just have to keep reminding myself it's not a miracle pill that's going to solve my issue! Have you managed to use a ovulation kit before with it showing a positive result? Because on the clear blue it does say to not use if you have pcos but I keep using incase it shows something.. so far nothing been using for a few months! But then Did you say there was two different reading saying when you ovulated? I hope you get your BFP!! I had AF show last week but was so light but lasted 4 days and ever since I've had twinges, backache, bloating etc but I think we need to try and not think about until we have to! (Think I'm going insane with you though) how long have you been TTC?

Offline JMC100

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 12:33:37 AM »
I have gotten peaks on a clear blue monitor before but not too often!! When I did one round of clomid I used to get an ovulation trigger shot and it always showed that month. However now it's a bit more unreliable as I seem to be having a much different reaction to the letrozole. If you are unmedicated (fertility drug wise) and reasonably regular it may work I think the instructions say don't use with PCOS as they can't guarantee accuracy!! We have been trying now for just under three years. The irony of spending ten years together trying to not get pregnant is not lost on us!! How long have ye been trying?

Offline Courtney_jo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »
Hmm.. I think I'll keep trying in hope that one time something will show. Nice to know they have worked with you so gives me a little hope, I do have regular periods, but have been up to two weeks late before! But usually spot on the time they should be but have just never recieved an actual positive reading.
Haha nightmare isn't it, well only been trying for a year or so, but in the 4 half years we've been together we've never been 'safe' I guess from the age of 15 and being told what I got told I guess I've never wanted to give up my chance of becoming a mum so never went on BC but when I meet my OH he was surprising fine with it! So even though we was never trying at that point there was always a chance and sadly now it's starting to worry me! I don't know about you, but you try to remain so positive about it and think it will be fine..it will happen, but the process is so tormenting and so frustrating it's hard to think it will happen!

Offline JMC100

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 02:28:22 PM »
No harm in keeping using the monitor. If your not on clomid or anything similar it should give a reading if you do ovulate. Yeah it gets to a point when you can't see it happening at all. It keeps me going hearing stories about people who succeed! It's a tough journey. I wish I had been diagnosed years ago when I went to the doc with irregular periods rather that just being put on the pill. But hindsight is a great thing!! I'll be 34 shortly so am hoping it happens soon! But we have started talking about other options aswell.

Offline Courtney_jo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
Yeah will just keep testing, and if nothing, will see if I can get to the doctors to test if I am actually ovulating! Yeah I love hearing about success stories, does feel more comforting, and weirdly slightly addictive!it's hard to know though, when I was younger and complaining about the lack of periods all they wanted to do was put me on the pill, but in the end I was going back and forth so much with extreme cramp but no periods they done an ultrascan and found more cycst than what I should of! Aww I really hope it works for you soon, hope you get your BFP!! what options are you thinking of if not?

Offline ally87

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »
Hey girls, how're you both doing?
I've just finished AF and oscillating between hoping I'll ovulate (and get pg!) and hoping I WON'T ovulate so my day 21 bloods will show I didn't and the dr will give me clomid. My appointment is on June 6 so still a while to wait. But I'm lucky he's getting me to do the bloods in anticipation I guess.
I've got a question though: how did you girls feel TTC after you'd been diagnosed with PCOS? Since getting the diagnosis last month I've felt unable to get my hopes up even towards the end of my cycle when normally I feel quite optimistic. I'm just feeling depressed now I know I'm probably not ovulating and there's little reason to be hopeful. How do I get out of this shitty headspace??