Author Topic: Exhusband Wins Lottery ~ Child support  (Read 476 times)

Offline Charli11girl

• View Profile
Exhusband Wins Lottery ~ Child support
« on: March 17, 2018, 10:56:02 PM »
My exhusband has won a significant amount of money in a lottery winning. He never told my son and the winnings occurred in November 2017. I just happened to stumble upon it. My son just turned 17, and while his father has “minimally” (buys him things randomly and sees him once a month if that) their relationship has always been strained due to his father. My son confronted him about the winnings this evening. At first, he denied it. Then admitted it. Four days before my son’s birthday he sent a picture to my son of a brand new truck that he had purchased. He does pay a monthly child support amount to me to care for our son. My issue is that he kept this from my son for 4 months and has now filed bankruptcy just two days ago. He did nothing to offer to help my son, help him get a vehicle or any of that. Do I have a right to be upset by this? I’m more upset for my son as it validates all these years his fathers selfishness. Do I have rights being my son’s mother & having custody of him to file a petition for part of the winnings (for my son’s benefits)?
Any thoughts would help? In my opinion it seems like he filed bankruptcy to protect his assets or to keep me from trying to gain any money from it since I am technically a debtor for child support.

My son is hurt by it. I have also received information where he has gifted large amounts of money to other family members but nothing to his son. Not even hey let me help you. But ithen turns around and sends a brand new truck picture to my son right before his birthday.

Thanks - :/

Offline Darken12

• Dark (maybe emo) weird, odd one out and calm.
    • View Profile
Re: Exhusband Wins Lottery ~ Child support
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 11:57:36 PM »
Wow, that’s so mean, you should talk to your ex, that isn’t right.
~Darken12

Offline LinkleBlue

• View Profile
Re: Exhusband Wins Lottery ~ Child support
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:07:23 AM »
I don't know much about laws, so as to whether you should file a petition or not, I'm not sure. Won't it be worse for your son maybe?
I think you should pay even more attention to your son, talk to him a lot, unfortunately what his dad does can't be undone by you, but having one supportive parent helps make lack of the other easier. Your son won't feel good if he gets money by force, I'm sure he just wants to feel his dad thinks of him.
But to be honest, it is fair that he gets part of the money. But will it work if you file a petition when he declares bankruptcy?