Author Topic: What is ovulating?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Jloe486

• View Profile
What is ovulating?
« on: June 28, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »
What is ovulating? I saw a few comments about it but I was still confused.

Offline AmandaR0586

• View Profile
Re: What is ovulating?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:18:59 pm »
I want to know the difference between ovulating and being fertile so I am right there with ya.

Offline Jloe486

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:22:51 pm »
I'm new to this whole period thing so I have no idea what being fertile is either so yea I need help. :P

Offline Kay10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 01:12:10 pm »
When a woman ovulates, her ovaries release an egg and send it through the fallopian tubes. Most of the time this occurs without many signs or symptoms. If the egg is fertilized on its way through the fallopian tube to the uterus, the woman will become pregnant. If it doesn't meet a sperm and isn't fertilized, the egg will be discarded as part of the woman's normal menstrual period.
The Facts
When a female human is born, she already has all of the eggs she'll ever have. When she reaches a fertile age and begins menstruating, she releases an egg each month as part of her normal menstrual/fertility cycle. For this to happen, the pituitary gland stimulates the release of an egg from the ovaries to a fallopian tube. It is this entire process that is called ovulation. Once in the fallopian tube, the egg can be fertilized if it meets a sperm. However, the egg can only be fertilized for about 24 hours after it is released.
Misconceptions
There are quite a few common misconceptions related to ovulation. Many women believe they ovulate exactly 14 days following the first day of their periods. While some women do ovulate on day 14, many do not, and focusing on day 14 may lead to unplanned pregnancies. Most women actually ovulate anytime from day 10 to day 19 of their cycles. Also, many women think they are only fertile on the day of ovulation. In fact, a woman has more than one fertile day, and she is most fertile in the few days before ovulation, as well as the day the egg is actually released.
Risk Factors
Sometimes ovulation occurs and the egg is fertilized but fails to implant in the uterus. In such a case, an embryo can begin to develop in the tubes and an ectopic pregnancy is the unfortunate result. This type of pregnancy isn't viable, which means it cannot be carried long enough to produce a full-term baby. It must be terminated quickly to avoid serious risks for the mother, which include a ruptured fallopian tube and even death.
Identification
When you are getting close to ovulating, your body will give you signs. For example, your cervix will secrete mucous that is typically clear and stretchable. Unfortunately, this is an easy sign to miss, especially if you have a vaginal infection. Your basal body temperature, which is your temperature immediately upon waking up in the morning, will also rise slightly. Additionally, some women feel a sharp pain when ovulation occurs. This is called mittelschmerz. Interestingly, some women also feel more sexual at this time, even if they are unaware that ovulation is occurring.
Time Frame
The time when ovulation will occur is linked to a woman's luteal phase. The luteal phase is the number of days between ovulation and menstruation. In most women, this phase is 12 to 16 days long. Basically, if your luteal phase is 12 days long and you have a 28-day cycle, you will ovulate on day 16. If your luteal phase is 11 days long and you have a 24-day cycle, you will ovulate on day 13. To ensure your body's ability to support a pregnancy, this phase must last for at least 10 days. There are blood tests designed to determine the length of a woman's luteal phase. Since there's no other way to determine the exact length, most women assume it is 14 days.