Author Topic: Needing Counselling/A Therapist  (Read 168 times)

Offline xxCoCo

• View Profile
Needing Counselling/A Therapist
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
For the last 5 years I’ve been in a very difficult place mentally, but am getting better however the last couple months I can feel myself in one of my episodes where I am just very unstable. I went through a lot of traumatic things through my childhood and up to this current day and every now and then I will be better as I have worked so hard over the last few years to be okay but I can feel myself slipping back into a place that I can’t let myself fall back to. I had counselling when I was 9-11 years old after loosing a close family member but I haven’t been to any type of counselling/therapy since as I battled a lot of my depression and anxiety silently but I’ve been thinking and I really think I need to go back and just have someone to talk to about everything I’ve been through that isn’t someone I know. What I need help with is telling my mum that I want it, she knows partially what I’ve been battling but she thinks I’m okay at the minute and I just really don’t want to worry her, I’m only 16 and I could just do with some advice please with how to bring it up to her in a way that shows I am being serious and it’s not some ‘silly teenage stage’ but at the same time I really don’t want to worry her.
Thank you so much in advance, sorry it’s long aha

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
Re: Needing Counselling/A Therapist
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
Hello. Sorry you’re not doing so well.
Are you by any chance in Australia?
If so then headspace is a great place to start. *and it’s free*
It’s for ages 12 to 25 so it’s made for people your age. You can just pop in and check it out. You can see them without your mum knowing if you want. Of course they would prefer your mum knows so she can be an extra support for you.
Also if you are in Australia you can go to your GP and ask for a “mental health plan” and that’s like a referral and it lets you see a psychologist for 10 sessions and is paid for the by the government. (This is a good way to sell the idea to your mum cause it won’t cost anything) or if it does it’s not much

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
Re: Needing Counselling/A Therapist
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »
“Hey mum I was wondering if we can organize for me to see someone to talk to like when I was younger. I’ve actually been feeling down for quite sometime but it’s gotten worse and I think I need some help.”

(Your first stop is usually your GP for a referral to someone else. They usually give you a “quiz” that give them an idea of where you are at. Eg “In the last 4 weeks I have felt tired... never/sometimes/often/always)

You might also want to write or text the message to your mum. It has more impact that way.