Author Topic: Missed Period on Birth Control  (Read 188 times)

Offline eegunn01

• 19 year old pre med college student
    • View Profile
Missed Period on Birth Control
« on: October 09, 2018, 01:03:22 AM »
First my apologies, I don’t really know how to use the forum, I’ve had this app for years but never used the forum feature until now.

So, a little bit of history to understand my question. About 2 years ago I ended up in the emergency room with severe abdominal pain and what we thought was appendicitis. A barrage of tests later and no answers. It took a painkiller to stop my pain after about 13 hours of it starting. A month later, same thing happens. I saw countless doctors in different specialties, had all sorts of tests done, blood work, ultrasounds, etc. This happened for the next 5 months until we realized it was aligning with my menstrual cycle. I saw an obgyn and was put on birth control as it was assumed to be a hormonal problem. An ultrasound showed everything to be normal. I started the birth control 1.5 years ago and until about a month ago had not had another reoccurrence of pain.

First night back at college, and my roommate is driving me to the emergency room in severe pain. I saw a new obgyn closer to my school the next week. She suggested endometriosis might be in part to blame for my pain, but the only way to confirm it is through surgery and we do not want to go that route yet. She did another ultrasound, which showed a small cyst on one of my ovaries, however she said it was not unusual and would not cause any problems or require follow up.

Since starting birth control my periods have been regular (as they should be). I always start at the same time (Tuesday/Wednesday after my pack ends) and the duration is always the same (3 days). This month however, I did not get a period. The last time I was intimate was 3 days before my last period (which began Sept. 5) so I knew pregnancy was possible but very highly unlikely. I took a test on Friday just to be sure and as expected it came back negative.

My question(s) then are, what are some possible reasons for missing this period? Is this something I should make an appointment for immediately, or should I see how the next month plays out? (Note, there was no pain or other symptoms experienced this month/around when I should have had my period.

If you read all the way through this, thank you. And again, I want to apologize in advance for any problems I may have with posting this/responding to people since I am still trying to figure the forum out.   :)

Offline LinkleBlue

• View Profile
Re: Missed Period on Birth Control
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:29:37 AM »
I think you should return to the obgyn. Considering everything it's better not to wait longer to see what's wrong, because there probably is something wrong. I've met people with endometriosis and they do get these extreme pains and trips to the emergency room because of the pain. You have been dealing with this issue for a couple of years now. How about getting a second opinion and considering the surgery? It feels like you tried everything else already.
Best of lucks!

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:40:22 AM »
Alrighty! That sure was a long read but it’s great to have all the information so that’s good!

Now you can settle in for a long read.. I’ll just explain a couple of things so you know how it all works.

Let me start with explaining the “menstrual cycle”

(Days 1-7) The cycle starts with your period. It’s the uterus shedding its lining (blood) because an egg (ovum) has not been fertilized.

(Days 8-14) One of the ovaries releases an egg and the uterus begins to rebuild its lining. The egg will slowly travel down the fllopian tube from the ovaries towards the uterus. If the egg is fertilised by a sperm before it arrives in the uterus, a girl will fall pregnant.

(Days 15-28) If the egg isn't fetilised, the uterus wall will continue to thicken until there is a **sudden drop in hormone levels.** The lining will then break down and another period will begin.

So That’s the menstrual cycle, now when you’re on the pill there is no “cycle” when you take the pill you’re giving your body basically the same hormone you release when you’re pregnant. You’re basically tricking your body, when you’re pregnant/on the pill your body doesn’t release an egg. You are just putting everything on “hold”. It’s actually fine to skip the “sugar” pills and just keep taking the active pill without the bleed.  Theres actually no use or benefit to having the bleed. When the pill was invented years ago they figured women would feel more comfortable seeing blood every month to show they weren’t pregnant. This bleed is called a “withdrawal bleed” it’s because you withdraw from taking the hormone (*having a sudden drop in hormone*) like I said you can just keep taking it and keep skipping this bleed (because why would anyone want it anyway) but eventually your body does have a “break through” bleed so for convenience it’s good to have the sugar pills every 3 months so you can plan it.

So the point is that each month it’s not actually a “period” you are having. Starting and stopping the hormone is giving that bleed.  That’s why it’s not heavy and painful like your normal period. And also why it’s EXACTLY 28 days (unlike normal periods that are give or take a couple of days)

Anyway so I don’t think it’s a big deal if you miss a bleed I’d give it another month and see how it goes.

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »
The first gyno should’ve just said it was probably endo, like you said you can only get it properly diagnosed by getting keyhole surgery to have a look but yeah its probably that.

“Endometriosis is a condition in which cells similar to those that line the uterus – the endometrium – grow in locations outside the uterus.”

(The pill helps because it stops ovulation)...

“During ovulation, the endometrium and the endometrium-like cells thicken. Unlike the endometrium, the misplaced endometrium-like cells cannot leave the body via menstruation. They bleed, cause inflammation and pain, and then heal. Over time, this process can create scar tissue.”

“Laparoscopic surgery (keyhole surgery) is usually used to both diagnose and treat endometriosis. A slender tube called a laparoscope (which endometrium-like cells, cysts and adhesions are cut out (excision) or burnt (diathermy). “

Just a heads up that endo can also cause fertility problems but there are treatments like the one above.