Author Topic: NPR! Need Advice! work related!  (Read 122 times)

Offline Capriceee97

• View Profile
NPR! Need Advice! work related!
« on: October 06, 2018, 06:31:09 AM »

I work in a call centre office and since Tuesday an odour has been building up and is pretty much sickening at this point. Whenever it is raised with a team leader/manager/HR personal, they advise us “it’s not confirmed to be a dead animal”. We’re adults, we’re not stupid. We’ve had a lot of staff go home ill today. 

What can be done? Are they legally allowed to keep us working in these conditions?

Any advice would be helpful

Offline Flowerpuff2

• View Profile
Re: NPR! Need Advice! work related!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
If it’s really that bad I would definitely report it.

Offline Zalee

• I feel like I'm pretty punny. :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
If you‘re in the US, you can report it to OSHA as it is not ok to force you guys to work in condition that make you ill. I’m not sure on labor laws elsewhere, but imagine there is similar agencies?
Signiture too small!

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »
Yeah that sounds pretty gross. Report it to the “health department”

Offline Flowerpuff2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »
If you‘re in the US, you can report it to OSHA as it is not ok to force you guys to work in condition that make you ill. I’m not sure on labor laws elsewhere, but imagine there is similar agencies?
Ya I agree with you, you can’t enjoy working in somewhere disgusting. And I didn’t get the part of being ill until now. You definitely have to report it, that’s not healthy and you could be at risk if you keep going there. You need to do something now!

Offline Capriceee97

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
Everyone that works in the building, including of CEO who works next door to us is aware that is there and they can smell it. My team leader contacted the building manager today (saturday) and he told him that he will be sorting it out Monday... I mean from what we know it’s been there since Tuesday. I just feel like more should have been done sooner to look after the welfare of the staff and to ensure it was a suitable environment to work in

Offline Flowerpuff2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »
Ya I agree, but hofully things will get better soon.

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 08:17:45 PM »
Some companies are forward thinking and understand if they invest in keeping their employees happy they will work better and make the company more money.

BUT most companies don’t think that far and just want to make money and not spend it. So they won’t spend it unless they absolutely have to.

If you ever have a safety concern You need to make sure it’s reported to your direct supervisor, if they don’t do anything then you go above them and so on until if you need you contact an outside sauce like we were saying a health and safety organization that checks on people. (Or at least call then and see what they think)

You need to make sure you don’t jeopardize your job by causing trouble but at the same time you need to make sure you’re safe.

I was working in a basement of a building (so no windows) and we had the fire department come and check our fire extinguishers and I was told  one was out of date. I called our head office and they said “you’re moving soon so don’t worry about it” and I was like “um.. No!! I’m in a basement!” And yeah I got it replaced.
So companies will save money where they can but you have a right to be safe.
I’m not sure what your rights would be about the smell, if you were working where food is prepared then it would be more of a concern.

Anyway good luck I hope it’s fixed soon. It always hurts when you realize how much your company doesn’t give a shit about you.

(Also that building I worked in actually did burn down a few years later, we had moved out but it really does remind me to make sure I fight for my own safety and the safety of others.)

Offline Capriceee97

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »
Thanks ladies! The dead mouse has been removed, although we have been told the roof is full of mice. I guess we’ll see how things go!

Thank you periodstuff, good for you for fighting your cause, it’s scary to think you could have been seriously effected!