Author Topic: Contraception  (Read 228 times)

Offline ecoggan2000

• View Profile
Contraception
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:04:03 PM »

Hi I have just gotten in the contraceptive pill and my boyfriend and I may have sex in two days. I understand it takes a week for the pill to start doing it’s job however I was just wondering if it was safe to do so with a condom or should we wait?

Offline ecoggan2000

• View Profile
Re: Contraception
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:05:35 PM »
Obviously even when the pill is effective we will still use a condom because i always want to be extra protected but I was just wondering for this time would just a condom be okay ?

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:56:41 AM »
Alrighty....

Plenty of people use only condoms. They are 98% effective IF used correctly every time, the actual rate (because people mess it up) is more around 82%. There are a bunch of common mistakes so you need to read how to use them properly. I think I have the instructions I’ll try to post.

In regards to the pill what type is it? Most will work straight away if you take it when they tell you to. Just read the instructions, if you don’t have them just google the brand name and go to their website.

And good job being extra safe using both a condom and the pill.

Offline Periodstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:58:45 AM »
Here are some tips for using condoms:

Check the expiration date (condoms can dry and crack if they're old). Don't use a condom if it seems brittle or sticky — throw it away and get another one.
Choose condoms made of latex, which is thought to be more effective in preventing STDs. (If one of you has an allergy to latex, use polyurethane condoms instead.)
If you use lubricants with condoms, always use water-based ones. Shortening, lotion, petroleum jelly, or baby oil can break down the condom.
Open the condom packet with your hands, not your teeth, and open it carefully so you don't tear the condom.
Choose a condom with a reservoir tip to catch semen after ejaculation. Lightly pinch the top of the condom and place it at the top of your (or your partner's) penis. This gets rid of trapped air, which can cause a condom to burst.
Roll the condom down until it's completely rolled out — if it's inside out, throw it away and start over with a new condom.
Remove the condom immediately after ejaculation, before the penis softens. You or your partner should hold the condom at the base of the penis (the part nearest the guy's body) while he withdraws to prevent the condom from slipping off.
Slide the condom off the penis, keeping the semen inside. Since condoms can clog the toilet if they are flushed, tie it off or put in a plastic bag (so it's not a health risk for others) and throw it out.
These aren't the only tips on discussing and using condoms. If you want more advice, talk to your friends, siblings, or parents. Yes, parents. Not everyone feels comfortable talking about sex with their parents, but lots of teens do. Parents often have the best tips.

Health professionals are also great sources of advice on sex and sexuality. A doctor or nurse practitioner or someone at a local health or family planning clinic can offer you advice — confidentially if necessary.

Of course, the only way to be 100% protected from pregnancy and STDs is abstinence (not having sex). But if you do decide to have sex, using a condom allows you to protect yourself.

Info from http://m.kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/contraception/talk_about_condoms.html

Offline ecoggan2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:30:35 PM »
Thank you for your help