Author Topic: Mental Health and School  (Read 102 times)

Offline Just.Another.Girl

• View Profile
Mental Health and School
« on: May 01, 2019, 02:46:14 AM »
Just recently I’ve been really struggling with the idea of going to school every day. Most of the time I’m confused as to why as it’s just another day, yet I’ll be panicking and crying even if my favourite lesson is that day.

I was arguing with my mum about going to school and I had already had the day before off. My mum had made a deal that if I was off that day, I had to go to school the next.

However, overnight I was struggling to sleep and I had to try loads of different apps with music or stories, as my usual music didn’t seem to be working, but everything was just creeping me out. Eventually I just decided to try and sleep without music (by this time it was about 12), which was a bad idea because the reason I use music is to distract myself from other thoughts (death and what happens when you die) so I almost immediately had a panic attack and was crying so I went to my mum and sat with her for a bit and told her how much I’ve been struggling with sleep and crying and she said just to try, so I went back to bed and tried my music again and eventually managed to fall asleep.

The next morning I felt exhausted but my mum made me get up and get dressed, which I did manage to do, but then I started panicking and crying again, but I don’t even understand why as my favourite lessons were that day. The morning carried on with shouting and my mum kept trying to guilt trip me by saying she goes through ‘exactly the same thing but you just have to get on with it’ and when I told her she was trying to make me feel guilty, she denied it and continued to say so many others go through the same thing. I know she was probably just trying to help, but to me it sounded like ‘everyone else can deal with so just get on with it - you’re weak’. She also said I was breaking her deal so I said I’ll make another deal then, and by this point she was really angry with me and said fine ‘but if you don’t go to school tomorrow you’re having your phone taken off you’ and I agreed. She started to drive away, and you think I should be happy, but instead I started to panic again and my head started screaming at me to get in the f****** car and deal with it, but my body just wouldn’t move, like it was denying me any control of myself, and when my mum was gone, I burst into tears, saying I’m sorry and I felt like I couldn’t breath.

I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do when these kinds of things happen and I don’t understand why I struggle with daily activities so much when other people can just get on with it. I keep trying to explain to my mum but it’s too hard to, and instead I’ve been sending her what other people have to say on social media, but she still always says ‘I go through the same thing get on with it’. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should do?
-Jade

Offline LinkleBlue

• View Profile
Re: Mental Health and School
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 05:29:36 AM »
You definitely need therapy! It is true that others go through that and are able to carry on with their lives, but when anxiety and panic attacks get in the way of your daily life it's time to see a therapist!

Offline MaryKay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:06:49 AM »
First, get help. Second, stay off social media if it’s affecting you. Also, you’re mom is making you go to school because you have to.
Always glad to help!

Period Diary Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline elso123456789

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 03:00:02 AM »
I get what your going through. I got anxiety about going to school and had panic attacks about going to school. I really didn’t know why because I loved school. Well it got worse after that and I went to see a mental health nurse and an art therapist and that’s helped loads. It’s been a hell of a year and a bit but things have gotten better, I’m attending school more regularly ( I still have my bad days and good days tho ) I was also diagnosed with anxiety, social anxiety and depression on the way but honestly it’s made me a better person.