Author Topic: Celiac disease  (Read 439 times)

Offline Lollylou

• View Profile
Celiac disease
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
Hi guys :) I was recently diagnosed with coeliac disease? It's an auto amune disease where you basically cant eat any gluten but gluten is in EVERTHING! Just wondering anyone had any advise on recipes ect as sticking to the diet is really hard :(

Offline Allyfoster

• View Profile
Re: Celiac disease
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
Not sure what country your in but most stores are becoming more accommodating. One of my friends has it and I have figured out a few things. Gluten free spaghetti, I make meat loaf and veggies we have corn chips and salsa. Meat, and veggies. I also made a gluten free cake once. It had rice flour. Most things will say gluten free on the label.

One thing I will tell you that she has just learned is if you do become pregnant you need to start vitamins RIGHT AWAY. She had two miscarriages and she didn't know why until the doctor told her after the second one. Because she couldnt have a well balanced diet, her body NEEDED the extra vitamins not only for a healthy baby but to help the placenta form, an to prevent a misscattiage. both misscarriages were at roughly 6 weeks (right after she found out) she is no 9 weeks :)

Offline Lollylou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
Thanks so much for the advise :) I'm in the UK the stores are okay there's just very little choice :(
Congratulations to your friend I hope all goes well :)
I think I will give gluten free cake a try :)

Thanks again :) ❤

Period Diary Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline Allyfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »
That's we're I am too. I am American but I am here because my husband is military. It took my friend till her second miscarriage for NHS to tell her it was her gluten intolerance that did it. Good luck and pretty much meat and veggies. :) it sucks but at te same time it's good because a lot of breads and pastas help you gain weight! Rice will also become a good friend. Good luck.

Offline Lucypickles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
Hi guys :) I was recently diagnosed with coeliac disease? It's an auto amune disease where you basically cant eat any gluten but gluten is in EVERTHING! Just wondering anyone had any advise on recipes ect as sticking to the diet is really hard :(

I have celiacs disease and so does my youngest son. It's really a complete life style change. Gluten is not just in food. It's in everything from shampoo to make up. You really have to read labels very close. I make all of our food from scratch. It's cheaper, and much safer and less risk of cross contamination. Just today, I was buying toothpaste, and the kind we had been using, is now processed in a plant that uses gluten. Ugh! Celiac.org is a good resource web page. I google blogs, and find new recipies that way as we get tired of the same old meals. So in the beginning it's a ton of work and research, but it gets eaiser with time and before you know it, you won't think twice about it.

Offline Ninetynine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:34:01 AM »
Handy substitute things are corn crumbs for crumbing up chicken or fish, corn flour for thickening sauces, gluten free flour for baking. Check your condiments carefully for gluten. Trial different brands to see what you like best. There is a lot out there & some really cool recipes. Indian food often use different flour like besan, tapioca or potato flour.